Please wait while your download begins
VisitorsCoverage banner ad

Lawbench will load in a few seconds

Continue to Lawbench

Sample Cover Letter For Reapplying for Abandoned Green Card

As a previous Green Card holder, if you were overseas and you voluntarily abandoned your green card status but now wish to return to the U.S and re-apply for your abandoned Green Card. You may include a cover letter stating about your previous status, the reason for abandoning your Green Card with the list of all the supporting documents you will be filing with your petition.

Applicant’s Full Name
Mailing Address
City, State, and Zip Code

[Insert Date]

[insert applicable address]
Re: Form I-485, Adjustment of Status Application (I-130 Immediate Relative)

Applicant: [Your Full Name]
A-Number: [Your Alien Registration Number]

To Whom It May Concern

On [insert date] I was granted Permanent Residence. I left the United States to temporarily stay in my native country on [insert date], and intended to return on [insert date]. However, due to the unexpected [insert unforeseen circumstance], I was forced to stay for an extended time that exceeded the 12 month travel validity period for Permanent Residency. Therefore, I voluntarily abandoned my Permanent Residency on [insert date] via Form I-407.

I am now seeking an adjustment of status for Permanent Residency again based on the facts that I was a lawful permanent resident in good standing upon departing the United States, I fully intended to return to the United States with maintained intent, my extended stay was a result of the above unforeseen circumstance, this circumstance no longer exist, I still have immediate relative ties to the U.S., and I am eligible for Permanent Residency in all other respects (criminal, health, etc.).

Enclosed please find the following supporting documents:

  1. Check (No. xxxxx) in the amount of $ representing the filing fees and the biometrics fee;
  2. Form I-485 (Adjustment of Status)
  3. Form I-130 (Petition for Alien Relative)
  4. Form I-130A (completed if filing for spouse)
  5. Form I-864 (Affidavit of Support)
  6. Form I-1765 (Application for Employment Application)
  7. Photocopies of prior Permanent Resident Card, A-Number XXXXXXXXX (front and back);
  8. Beneficiary’s copy of birth certificate with translation if applicable
  9. Petitioner’s copy of birth certificate
  10. Copy of I-94 (Arrival/Departure Record)
  11. Proof of ties to the U.S.
  12. Proof extended stay was unforeseen
  13. Copy of I-407 (Record of Abandonment of Lawful Permanent Resident Status)
  14. Photocopy of identification (passport, driver’s license)
  15. Copy of marriage certificate (if applicable)
  16. Copy of Divorce Decree (if applicable)

I hereby request that this agency process my Application for Adjustment of Status at the earliest convenience. Should you have any questions or concerns, please contact me at [insert address]. Thank you kindly for your time, as well as consideration rendered in this matter.

Respectfully Submitted,

[Insert Name]

The sample documents provided here are for informational purposes only and to be utilized at the user’s discretion. These act as a guide only and the content within these are to be customized as per requirement. While Lawbench covers general guidelines, it does not guarantee access to visas or ensure entry into the United States of America or assure any other form of privileges. Lawbench and its affiliates are not responsible for any losses or damages that may arise from having used these sample documents.